About Me

My photo
My name is Gavin McClements. I am a wargamer and family man, living in Los Gatos, which is a suburb of San Jose, CA. Building terrain is one of my favorite aspects of the wargaming hobby - in fact, lately I've become more interested in making my battlefields "pop" than in actually playing.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I want to roleplay again!

I began my gaming career as a miniature gamer (well, Battletech at age 14) and a board gamer (Avalon Hill games of all types, all WW2). I began my roleplaying career with Champions 4th Ed by HERO games/ICE, and moved on from there.

Before my children were born, I decided that I needed to roleplay again, and so convinced some friends to buy D&D 3.5 and I ran a campaign that lasted for 2 years. It slowed as my daughter was born, and I was introduced to World of Warcraft (/sigh). After we wrapped up the campaign, a friend took over, and I continued playing for a few years, but lately I have been out of it again.

A few posts on my FLGS forums have netted me nothing, and Im finding that Im in a real bind when it comes to finding games! I worked at said FLGS and know the "quality" of our average gamer, and that kind of scares me. I don't tend to play pick-up games as I just dont have patience with power gamers and rules lawyers (at least ones I dont know!).

So I went to EN World (http://www.enworld.org/ which is a GREAT RPG forum - one of the best, actually) and posted in the Gamers seeking Gamers section. Wow, I feel gay.  Here is what I wrote:

"Ive played so many RPGs I wont be able to list them all. I've spent the most time playing various forms of Mechwarrior, Palladium games of all types, HERO games (Champions, Fantasy Hero), but have dabbled in many other types (like Shadowrun, Alpha Omega, Mutants and Masterminds, D&D from AD&D 2nd ed to 3.5, but havent actually played 4th ed yet).

I am looking for something NOT D&D, really, but only because I'm not in the place where I want to spend gobs of dollars on expansions and extra books needed for whatever game I play, where future expansions are less and less balanced or "fair", etc.

Oddly enough, I really, REALLY want to try Champions/HERO 6th Ed and will buy what I need to, but I am also interested in learning new rules.  I like combat (I LOVE combat, which is why I am a miniatures wargamer) but can deal with roleplaying and problem solving as long as it isnt the absolute main focus of the game or campaign.  I love fantasy and sci-fi equally, but dont really tend to get into the Wild West or alternate settings like steampunk cowboys, Weird War II, Victorian, etc.

I value cleanliness and bathe regularly - yes, I also expect it from my peers. Odd, I know. Oh, I brush my teeth and wear cologne as well. Who knew such gamers existed?

Personally, I am married with 2 children, hold down not one but two jobs (both of which I am quite proud of), and I play drums and make terrain for my games. I love Call of Duty and car racing games on my PS3, and watch an awful lot of MMA on TV."

I guess it is a personal ad, isnt it, so why not get all gushy? I most recently played Alpha Omega by Mindstorm Labs, and think the game system is good, but the group I had needed some help. Roleplaying takes a LOT of effort on the players, and even more from the DM, so maybe I am in love with the romantic CONCEPT of roleplaying and should just stick to miniature wargaming? I have some awesome friends who make great partners when we can game together, but their reliability is questionable enough that even my tabletop gaming is reduced in frequency enough that Im, well, you're reading what Im doing now :)

Just my own personal pining for something new. Which isnt new from me at all. Just ask most of my gaming friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment