Yesterday I started tackling the basing of my Khurasan models. Ive always felt that pennies looked a little too big on 15mm models (after all, if 28mm models are on 25mm bases, should the bases of models half that size be, I dont know, half as big?). So instead of using pennies on most of my models, I decided to use washers that were 5/8" across.
I also watched an inspiring video by Robin of Gruntz on basing his models, http://www.youtube.com/user/trybeinganihilist#p/u/31/QZm0rz8zotA, where he uses a gel medium mixed with sand to texture his 15mm guys. Well, I've based an awfu lot of 28mm and 6mm models, so I was up for something new. Getting my coupon from Michael's (you DO subscribe to their weekly emails, right? I mean, its a free 40% off whenever you want it!), I went an got my stuff:
Following his video, I added a fairly liberal mix of fine sand, and I began working away.
Can I just say that this was one of the most painful, frustrating techniques I have tried in awhile? It took me over an hour to get 20 models done. Maybe it was the same in the mix, but the gel fought my the whole way. Using toothpicks, I finally gave up trying to get the medium in between and under the models, and just did the surrounding edges. Finally, I decided to try the gel medium without any extras:
The model on the left has the sand. The one on the right has no sand. When all is said and done, I think the one on the right will paint up just fine, and while not as easy as white glue, it was easier and less frustrating to manipulate than the sandy version.
To clean up the middle of each base, I will be putting a tad bit of white glue and sprinkling sand over the base (you know, ye olde standard basing technique). I will also do this on subsequent armies. For now, Im stuck with this.
Letting these dry up so I can prime them later this week. The sun is supposed to last for a few more days, so I'm working diligently but not frantically.