About Me

My photo
My name is Gavin McClements. I am a wargamer and family man, living in Los Gatos, which is a suburb of San Jose, CA. Building terrain is one of my favorite aspects of the wargaming hobby - in fact, lately I've become more interested in making my battlefields "pop" than in actually playing.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Leven Miniatures Blacksmith in 6mm

Awhile back, I placed a fairly large order with both Total Battle Miniatures and Leven Miniatures for 6mm buildings for my Warmaster set. I irdered some more stuff from Leven again...and inquired as to whether he had anything for a Blacksmith.

I could have sworn I wrote about this, but damned if I could find it. Anyway...he was working on an item, and ended up sending me the very first sample...I was so excited!

So I finally got it painted up.

I know - I HATE blurry pictures too, but I just have my phone. I tried making a glowing forge, so I started with reds and oranges, put black over, drybrushed a grey over for coals, and then used the yellow ink to make a glowing effect. Effective? I doubt it, but it's the effort that counts :)
Lastly, many of Leven's buildings have huge blank spots where openings are. I understand why, but just painting them black doesnt seem right to me. I tried a really limited "3D effect", using basic 3 point perspective.

Ideally, it's look like anything from here:
http://sciencevibe.com/2015/05/04/chalk-it-up-to-an-optical-illusion/
but you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment